Sunday 5 July 2009

So this is great -

- that neat little place I wrote about a few days ago, Six Sentences, have accepted my story, Velcro, and you can read it here.

Excellent.

Ah.

Now, to the next thing - I'm sure there is a 'short story that shalt be subbed' on my hard drive somewhere, and I'm not afraid to use it. Sub it. Send it. Where to? Later.


Later-
A most unexpected story has just been subbed to SmokeLong Quarterly. Unexpected because I found the piece lurking in a folder called 'Poetry' which contains several of my tries at poetry, even though I have no idea what I'm doing with it. Poetry for me means adding more line breaks than usual. But I like line breaks, and I try to add them at places that feel right.

So, something which was once (but never really was) a 'poem' has now been transformed into a piece of flash fiction, mostly by deleting white space. It hangs together interestingly, and it's very short at 160 words. I like it. The editors ask for
'language that surprises', which I think is a great thing to ask for. They only accept 2% of the submissions they receive. Eeek.

I'm pretty relieved because I wasn't sure I'd have something I felt good about sending out today, and didn't want to sub a story half heartedly or for the sake of it.

I've had a good time rooting around my hard drive, and might even have unearthed an interesting idea or two for the Guardian Short Story Competition, which closes at the end of this week. With all my best stories at their annual outing in Bridport, I need to pull something out the bag in the next few days.





5 comments:

margosita said...

Hi- I found your blog through Six Sentences. I enjoyed your submission and so I thought I'd drop by your blog and say so. Good luck on your submission goals! It's a great idea.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

Beautiful piece over at 6S. Congratulations.

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks Margosita and Tessa - I really appreciate you stopping by, and your kind words.

Jessica said...

I really enjoyed reading your six sentences :)
Jessica

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks so much!