Friday 3 July 2009

Mostly about a film, a bit about writing

A good couple of days. Interesting sleeping patterns, a real-life catch up with a friend and a few email catch ups that have been long overdue. There are some people I need to see this summer, for it has been too long.

And so my 'Waiting to hear back from' list increases by one, with the addition of Flash Fiction Online. They like stories of between 500 and 1000 words, and I've just spent a good couple of hours getting a piece ready to sub. They take between 2 and 3 months to get back to you, so I'll just let this one go into the world of 'Waiting to hear back from' and never think of it again. Apart from whenever I look at that list on this blog. Which is maybe every few minutes.

So my mission for the next 4 days is to sub a story to each day. And I will. I'll post here about where and anything else interesting I find.



In other news, I went to see 'My Sister's Keeper' at the cinema where I work and had a thoroughly draining and edgy time. In the last week I have witnessed many, many people sobbing on their way out of that film. I'm the kind of person who cries at films/TV show/adverts really readily, so I was prepared. And it's bloody good at making you cry, bloody bloody good. You're just on the verge of tears through the whole thing. Montage after montage of shaved heads, days at the beach, moments on a trampoline.

I haven't read the book (or any of Jodi Picoult's books) but underneath all of those emotional slaps across the face there's an interesting story. So that's what I'd say - I like the story. I like the idea of 2 sisters under that kind of pressure and in that weird, horrible, but all-they-know-environment. I like Abigail Breslin because she was ACE in Little Miss Sunshine ('Olive' - isn't that the Best Name Ever?) and, I DID NOT expect this - but I like Cameron Diaz in this film. What a face she has.

And there's a character in it called 'Mark T Wayne' - which, in my world, is not at all a nod to Mark Twain - but the names of my 2 brothers, with my initial in between. My Mum, a big fan of coincidences, will love that when I tell her.

3 comments:

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

"My Sister's Keeper" was the ONLY book of Jodi Picoult I have read and I am going to stay far, far away from that movie. Can't say why, I just am.

Angela said...

I read the book last year, and I enjoyed it. But I think I'm going to avoid the movie - at least while it's at the movie theater - because I hate crying in movie theaters. I remember when I went to see the movie Titanic, I was sobbing by the end but I thought "No big deal, I'm not going to look like an idiot walking out of the theater, because everyone else is going to be crying just as much as I am." And then I turned around and saw that no one was crying as much as I was.

By the way, thanks for becoming a follower on my blog. I appreciate it.

Teresa Stenson said...

Hi Tessa and Angie-

Yeah, at every silent moment during the screening there were muffled sobs coming from all directions.


I have to say though, interestingly, it doesn't stay with you, that emotional stuff - it's not a film that plays on your mind or has a big impact afterwards.

At least it didn't with me. It just pushes your buttons when you're watching it.