Thursday 3 January 2013

'We Are In Whitby' - new piece published at Litro

I am so pleased (so very pleased) to be able to share some good publishing news with you - the travel item that I sent to Litro and talked about here has been accepted (yessssssssss).

As you know (might have mentionned it...) 2012 wasn't a very fruitful year in terms of being published, so it's really lovely to start this year off with a YES and piece of writing I can share.

It's called We Are In Whitby and it's about a trip my boyfriend and I took a while ago. I've been referring to it as a 'travel piece', and it is, but in the sense of a memoir rather than a review of the place. It's the first piece of non-fiction I've had published.

Here's an extract:

The rain comes as soon as we get off the bus. Heavy, windy rain, and as we struggle up the steps to our hotel on the West Cliff and through the whale bones, we are soaked to our bones. We’re only here for one night but somehow, though we said we wouldn’t, we’ve packed a lot stuff. Books, magazines. Tea bags in cling film, hobnobs in Tupperware. We are prepared. But I didn’t bring another pair of jeans. Or a waterproof coat. 



Click here to read the rest.


And to help bring the words to life, some photos from the trip:











8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's a top start to the year. And Whitby's ace!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's a top start to the year. And Whitby's ace!

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks, Nik (times two).

Dan Purdue said...

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it here as well - Hooray! Great stuff, Teresa.

It's a lovely piece. It really captures the mood of the place and that sense of two people enjoying each other's company, without all the Hollywood fireworks and fakery.

Incidentally, have you ever done the Dracula Experience? I keep meaning to try it but never do.

Dan Purdue said...

Great photos, too.

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks, Dan.

No, I haven't done the Dracula Experience - but I want to. See a real vampire die! Sounds brilliant.

Mike Scott Thomson said...

I read this. Really evocotive. I haven't been to Whitby for approaching 20 years. Kind of makes me want to go back...

Teresa Stenson said...

Hi Mike - thanks. I saw you had RT'd Litro's link to it - ta for that as well.

Yes, do go. I want to go now as I'm hungry and fancy fish and chips. I might ask Whitby tourist board to sponsor me.