Saturday 20 March 2010

three beautiful things

Clare Grant, who writes the blog Three Beautiful Things, will be here on Monday as guest writer number 6 in my 'tell me how you write' series. So today I'm doing a Three Beautiful Things post here, in readiness for Clare's virtual visit.

Here are 3 things I noticed yesterday, 3 things that I found beautiful, amusing, or moving:

1. The lines on my Nana's face. I tried to fight the urge to write about this one, conscious it's cliched to look at lines and see them as wisdom, experience, living. But I couldn't help it. I don't see her too often, we have both just lost someone, and as we stood in the sunlight and talked about her I couldn't help thinking how much I love my Nana's face.

2. The blu-tak creature sitting on my shelf: part dinosaur, part Loch Ness monster. I don't know how long he's been there.

3. The street opera singers on the busiest street in the city, a big crowd around them, singing 'World in Union', my Nana is interested, so we stand and listen. I fill with tears, because I like the song, and I'm a sucker.

4 comments:

Lynne Hackles said...

That's lovely Teresa. I call these things rainbows and always look for a rainbow to brighten each day.
Thanks for sharing yours.

Clare said...

Melancholy and lovely -- thank you for sharing them.

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks, Lynne and Clare.

Rachel Fenton said...

Your nana was briefly my nana. Thank you.