Some things that happened this year:
- I deactivated Facebook
- I discovered the Golden Syrup and Chocolate varieties of Weetabix.
- I hardly wrote anything with a pen and on paper
- I noted that some people look at me with sympathy when I wear my bobble hat
- I stopped doing two spaces after full stops
- I got a lot more relaxed about a lot of things
- But I confronted some people when they'd pissed me off
- (example) I stared at the girl who served me in KFC until she returned my 'Hello'
- I don't have a designated writing space anymore.
The last one isn't strictly true - I do still have the space, I just don't use it. In April I bought a netbook so I could take my writing around with me, and since then, even when I'm at home, I don't use the desk anymore. I didn't think this would happen. At my desk there is a computer and also a bit of space (if I shove things) to write on paper. I have things around me that I like, there are some pictures of those things here.
I liked having that space to sit and think. But I suppose I wasn't that loyal to it after all.
Now I sit on the sofa, cross-legged, a cuppa at my side.
Or I sit in a cafe, cuppa at my side (what I'm doing now).
I might reclaim that space this year. Might need to have a re-think and a re-arrange to make it feel new and fresher. More fresh. The freshiest.
It would be nice to have a whole room (of one's own) one day but I'm not yearning for it, not really. What I need more than physical space is mental space, head space. I can sit somewhere busy and manic and write as long as there is freedom in my mind, that's what belongs to me, and that's what I try to claim for myself.
What about you? Where do you write?