Thursday 19 April 2012

The Bridport Prize

If any blog title is sure to get the attention of short story writers - poets too - it's one that mentions The Bridport Prize.

But I'm not trying to get your attention, honest. (At least no more than usual.) I thought I'd put a post together because each year a month or two before the Bridport deadline I notice more people find this blog by Googling Bridport related phrases. I say 'people', I mean more specifically writers - who are also people, but people who have more than just a passing fancy in The Bridport Prize. They are hungry for information, thirsty for the facts.

I know what it's like to get your work ready to submit and desperately want to know stuff about where it's going. What worked in the past, what it's up against, how many entries, when the winners will be announced. I am still that writer - I still send stories out and I sit and refresh web pages or my email when the results are due.

I've written about this before. In May 2010 I wrote a few pieces of advice about entering the prize. And if you're interested in my experience of the prize-giving, you can read about it here.

It's not like I have any definitive answers but I can tell you one or two things based on my own experience only.

You can't read any Bridport winning stories online. This is the most common Bridport related thing people type in their search engines. You can buy copies of the anthology from the website, and you might find a few copies on Amazon.

The selection process takes a long time.
From the deadline to me hearing about being a runner-up took 3 months. And then I had to keep it under my hat until the prize-giving, almost 2 months further down the line. The best thing you can do when you have entered is let it go. I say this - I know this - I hardly ever do it myself. The main thing though is that a competition which receives around 6000 short stories is going to take a while to get back to you.

Your story will be read by a volunteer first, a reader who loves to read, who might have been doing this for the love of it for years. Bear in mind your story, like any short story, needs to grab and hold that reader from the start.

Selecting, and judging, is subjective. The story that got me into the final 13 in 2009 was rejected in 2007. It was the same story, I hardly re-wrote it. Simply put: it got read by the right person in 2009. Whoever read it first, liked it enough to pass it on to the next stage. And then someone else liked it, and then someone else, and maybe another person, and then Ali Smith.

The element of luck that is required in short story competitions is immense
. I never fully appreciated that until I attended the prize-giving, and got to learn a little about the stages of reading and sifting that stories go through to get on the long list.

This is part of the process of sending your work to any major writing competition and it can be overwhelming to think about. But the important thing is - 12 or 13 stories and poems WILL make it through all those parts of the process and one of them could be yours.

And, the thing that's most important - at least to me - when sending any of my work away is - send the story that feels true. This is nothing to do with facts or writing a 'true story' but is about the sort of writing that you feel is true to you. Write in your style, with your passion, in your way of telling.


And if your work is selected, you might get to look like this after the prize-giving. I think I look happy, tired, excited, relieved, drunk. My hair was nice as well, wasn't it?



I'm really glad that people can find this blog by Googling Bridport stuff. There are some things you can't get by looking at an official web page. I think in this digital age of blogs a-go-go, Facebook, Twitter etc, we're looking for personal connections to out of reach things more and more.


Good luck to anyone who enters. The deadline is a month earlier than previous years - it's May 31st. Details here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a really interesting post! You have given me an idea of writing something about my own Bridport experience on my blog (I was a Poetry runner-up in 2010)! You've started something here. Will look out for more of your work.

Teresa Stenson said...

Hi Josephine - thanks so much for reading and saying hello. And yes yes yes - do write something about your experience. I think it's useful and kind of takes down some barriers. Plus I'd love to read it! Congrats to you for your success in 2010 - what a year - CA Duffy - that must have been amazing.

Rachel Fenton said...

Might give it a bash - it's uber tempting - and I think your advice about the luck of it all is so reassuring for writers starting out, too. Your pic is gorgeous, by the way!

Teresa Stenson said...

Ah cheers Rachel (but note the blurry of the camera setting as well as blurriness of my expression). Yes - do enter - do. Do. Do.

And Jospehine - duh (me) getting your judge wrong - it was Michael Laskey not Duffy 2010. I'm all out of touch with how fast the years are passing!

Everyone: Jospehine has written a post about her 2010 Bridport experience here:

http://josephinecorcoran.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Miss McFish said...

I shall be entering! And yes, your hair looked reet cracking lass! Mandy

Teresa Stenson said...

Haha, thanks Mandy. Good luck with your entry.

And where are you from - you don't have to answer, I just appreciate the Northern-ness.

Miss McFish said...

I'm from Scarborough, but now live near Leeds. In between I lived in London. They don't pronounce things proper down there though....

Teresa Stenson said...

Ah, of course, I remember now you said you were an ex-Scarbarian (think that's how you phrased it?!)

And, aye, tha's right about them Londoners.

Unknown said...

thanks for the tips.... interesting and informative... cheers
oh yeah,
and your hair looks good too!

Unknown said...

"This is a really quality post.I find this information through Google Search engine. I read your Article very carefully it is really very informatic Article,I bookmarked your site.
\ Read more Kim kardashian sex tape and Mia Khalifa Sex video and Sunny Leone Sexy Movie"

Unknown said...

I was verifying consistently this web blog and I’m impressed! Extremely details specifically the last part I care for such information and facts much. I was searching for this certain details for some time Read more Kim kardashian sex tape and Mia Khalifa Sex video and Sunny Leone Sexy Movie

Unknown said...

We are Get health tips to lead healthy life everyday.health information and medical updates on healthy life ideas. latest health news, articles and studies on all health. NutraT line

Unknown said...

Pilpedia is supplying 100 percent original and accurate information at each moment of time around our site and merchandise, and the intent is to improve the usage of good and pure health supplement. For More Info please visit Pilpedia online store.

Anonymous said...

Supplements For Fitness The three categories of supplements consistently adulterated with potential toxic substances are weight loss, sexual enhancement and products for body building. The FDA, national trade associations that represent .

Revuesdefaits said...

Revuesdefaits defines personal characteristics of various health merchandise together with skincare, weight loss, muscle and male enhancement. The study presented here is briefly described for reader convenience and to deliver them assurance with health standards. The best potential answers are given here concerning the selection of a perfect supplement or cream or serum that presumably remains to be safe for health and do not cause any facet effects.


http://revuesdefaits.fr/awaderm/


http://revuesdefaits.fr/vital-keto/

Weight Loss Diet said...

Keto Ignite is stunning it is any weight reduction recipe that has the number of people so far to lessen the body weight. You can likewise be one of those people and you can make your body thin and trim. All things considered, this is an enhancement that can get your body ketosis state. Kindly Visit on http://www.choosetolose.net/keto-ignite-shark-tank-supplement-reviews/

Weight Loss Tips said...


Keto Ignite Diet is one of the best dietary supplements that is dedicated to shed pounds and drive instant weight loss reduction naturally. It is a dual action appetite suppressant that works on the ketosis process and controls the carbohydrate conversion to fat structure and drives energy and strength level.
Visit On http://www.powerenrich.com/keto-ignite-keto-diet-pills-for-increasing-energy-and-fast-weight-burner/

Weight Loss Tips said...

Pure Life Keto is an exceptional weight loss supplement which makes use of some natural ketone salts like Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB).Pure life keto pills are designed to help you reduce weight and improve focus without demanding a lot of effort which is generally required to lose weight.The makers of this amazing weight reduction recipe claim that it facilitates your body to encounter the process of ketosis more efficiently and quickly. This fat burner is based on the latest technology that falls in the category of keto diet trend. Visit On http://www.theapexhealth.com/pure-life-keto-reviews-shark-tank-diet-pills-for-eliminate-extra-fat/