Friday 7 June 2013

How do you decide what to read next, when you don't know what to read next?

I'm just wondering, in the interest of nothing much apart from curiosity, when you get that feeling - that need - for a good book - how do you choose what you'll read next?

You might have a list, mental or otherwise, of books you're interested in. But those times when you don't, when you just want something good to read, how do decide what to buy or borrow next?

I'll tell you what I do, then you tell me what you do in the comments. Or on Twitter if you're not the commenting-on-blogs kinda gal or guy.

So, if I don't have my 'things I'd like to read' list, or it's empty, or whatever, I text a friend. I have one great friend who reads more than anyone else I know. She read English at Goldsmith's, she's one of those folks who seems to have 'read EVERYTHING!', we talk about books over wine when we meet, we text each other if we're enjoying a book, we give each other books we don't want to keep but have really liked (neither of us is precious about hanging onto books), she loves thrillers, horror, classics, 'literature'. She keeps up with what's going on in the publishing world. She reads reads reads. All kinds of books, she's no snob.

Because I see her often I usually have a few titles we might have talked about, but if not, I text her. 'What have you read lately that's good?' She tells me.

So, those occasions when I'm seeking a recommendation, that's where I go.

What about you?

Do you go with instincts, perusing the shelves (I like that too), big award lists, word of mouth, other?

2 comments:

Helen said...

I've just blogged about a similar topic Teresa and like you I'm an avid reader always looking for a great book to add to my TBR pile. Since joining Twitter, that's now where I get most of my recommendations from as if I see the same book talked about by several folk whose opinion I respect (including yourself)I'm tempted to give it a go. The best one recently was recommended by Isabel Costello and was The Clothes on their Backs by Linda Grant.

Teresa Stenson said...

Hi Helen - yes - the power of Twitter - it's funny because I'm just reading 'Gone Girl' and I picked up in when I was in a rush in Smith's the other day (had a long wait and nothing to do) and I couldn't say exactly why I went for it - but I think it was a combination of hearing people talking about it on Twitter and it's also one that my book-fiend friend had texted me about too - but I'd read the text quickly and forgot about it. I didn't put it all together until I was well into the book. I'm about to finish it then I can go to Isabel's blog and see what she thought!

Thanks for your recommendation too - even though my TBR is pile huge I will check it out! I'm at the worried stage where because I've been really into 'Gone Girl' I think I'll never have another gripping reading experience. That's silly though...