Wednesday 9 February 2011

at last

after a year of rejections I got a hit!

I've been shortlisted for The Willesden Herald short story prize with my story Blue Raincoat.

This acceptance makes me feel especially good because:
- A year!!!
- It's a story I wrote a few years ago that's almost been accepted (shortlisted at Mslexia, highly commended at Aesthetica) but never quite made it.
- And maybe for that reason this feels unexpected.
- And it made me do a little dance when I got the email.


There are 12 shortlisted stories, but the top 3 won't be announced until the prize-giving event of which I know nothing about just yet. I'll keep you posted.

Must say cheers to Vanessa Gebbie for posting a blog about what this prize meant to her just before the closing date. I read her post and entered on a whim.

And well done to the other writers on the list. You can see who they are here.

9 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Yay!!!!! who cares about the other places - you did it! Well done well done. So pleased my post encouraged you to enter!
vx

Miles said...

:-)

Nik Perring said...

Ace! Congrats!

Julie P said...

Well done! You see - you persevered and look what happened.

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks Vanessa - I wouldn't have entered had I not read your post. You sold it!

Miles - :]

Thanks, Nik!

Julie - yes indeedy, and thank you too.

~Tessa~Scoffs said...

What wonderful news!

essygie said...

Congrats :-)

Rachel Fenton said...

Super congratulations - that's brill!

Teresa Stenson said...

Thanks ladies :)