Thursday, 13 July 2017

Neighbours: Quotes From My Teenage Diaries Part 13

BUT. 
There was another book. And I also loved this book when I was 8, 9, 10... 




If you were at school in the late 80s to early 90s then YOU KNOW how popular Neighbours was and YOU KNOW what a treasure this book would have been to me. The amazing thing about it (apart from the subject matter, the cover stars, the colour photos) was that it was sent to me by my Aunt and Uncle in Australia. This wasn't some UK sourced unofficial Christmas annual from Woolworths - oh no! This was a potent, real, gen-you-eye-n artefact from the other side of the world and I absolutely adored it.







However. This book has a chequered past. When I was 9 or 10, it went missing. I searched high and low, couldn't find it anywhere. I was so upset. It literally dispappeared from my bedroom - there one day, not there the next. I hadn't misplaced it. I knew I hadn't misplaced it. There were a handful of friends who'd been in my bedroom the day it disappeared, and I knew one of them must have taken it. I just didn't know which one. I asked each of them, all denied it. My mum even went to speak to the other mums, just in case one of the girls had 'accidentally' picked it up. Allegedly, none of them had. 

A year or so passed. I was certain I'd never see the book again. And then... this is a little hazy - but what I recall is one of my friends told me she'd spotted it at another girl's house. Mum went to investigate. I was so nervous and excited while I waited for her to return. And when she did - she returned with the book. JOY, total joy. Best reunion evah. 








It had indeed been found in this girl's bedroom. She'd bare-faced lied to my bereft face when I'd asked her about it! But, well, she must have really wanted it and I can't really blame her for that - it was the most special and important book since ... Trev and Simon's Stupid Book.


Still get chills when I remember Scott and Charlene's wedding day. Mullets a-go-go. 

----------------------------------------

Quotes From My Teenage Diaries is an ongoing project as I re-read and reflect 
on the diaries I kept from the age of 11 to 16. 

You can read Part 1: BEST FRIENDS here
Part 2: CONGRATULATIONS here

Part 3: MY FIRST BOYFRIEND here,
Part 4: MY SOUL AMBITION here,
Part 5: MEATLOAF here,
Part 6: MARK OWEN here
Part 7: A KITTEN! here
PART 8: PHILLIP SCHOFIELD here
PART 9: I HAVE A FEW PLANS here
PART 10: HEATWAVE, here
PART 11: CHRISTIANITY, here
PART 12: TREV AND SIMON, here

There's a Facebook page too and soon - I hope - there will be a podcast. 
If you enjoyed this or can relate in any way - please do leave a comment or say hi on Facebook - 
it'd be lovely to hear from you.



1 comment:

Rachel Fenton said...

The audacity of the book thief! Glad you got reunited. Except that Guy Pierce pic makes me doubt my sincerity. I recently got parted from a fave cd by a friend who claims she never borrowed it. I'm a sentimental sausage and it grieves me to have to leave it or confront this person - and how petty does that make me seem? I'm not a teenager, see. If only I could chalk this one up to the diary of yore.